Welcome to the Route 66 University Home Page. This online institution of higher learning is destined to become the premier source of online information for America's most famous highway, variously called the Mother Road, Main Street of America, Route 66, and U.S. 66.
Generations of travelers have experienced Route 66 first-hand, and many more today are seeking her out. Whether you are making plans to motor along the Mother Road personally, or you're an armchair adventurer who wants to do some research from your home or office, Route 66 University is the source for you.
At Route 66 University, you'll find:
- Articles & Essays - Choose from a growing list of articles by a variety of writers covering a broad spectrum of Route 66-related topics
- Business Directory - a listing of some of the more prominent Route 66 roadside businesses you'll want to patronize as you motor along the Mother Road
- Campus Online Store - find the merchandise that sets the University apart from all other institutes of higher learning, including shirts, caps, lapel pins, etc.
- Campus Rag - our campus newspaper's features include special articles you can't find anywhere else, vintage photos, famous quotations, and letters to the editor
- E-Postcards - send your friends virtual postcards featuring both modern and vintage images of Route 66—no postage required!
- Events Calendar - a list of upcoming festivals and other happenings on the Mother Road, so you can time your trip for maximum enjoyment
- Glossary Project - an ongoing list of the words, phrases, and place-names indispensable to a thorough knowledge of America's Main Street
- I Remember... - personal recollections from people who lived, worked, traveled, or otherwise directly experienced the Mother Road in her heyday
- Links - a list of indispensable web resources to which you can add your own discoveries
- Maps - dozens of maps are available of Route 66 at the regional, state, and local levels, at varying times in its history; many are available in PDF format so you can easily print them for your own next road trip
- News - current news stories from around the world demonstrating Route 66's continuing appeal
- Online Community - our community area is intended to allow our students to interact with other Route 66
aficionados around the world; features of the online community area include:
- Read news articles submitted by other readers, and submit your own for publication
- Participate in discussion groups on a variety of topics
- Keep your own online journal, or weblog, which can be either public or private according to your preference
- Submit your own reviews of products or services for publication to the community members
- Send private messages to, and receive private messages from, other members of the community
- Participate in online polls and surveys
- Provide feedback to the University's administrative staff
- Perform detailed search queries on the site's content
- Submit your own comments and ratings on the University's web content
- Photo Tour - an always-expanding collection of original photography of Mother Road sights
- Postcards & Artifacts - the online collection includes hundreds of vintage postcards evoking the heyday of Route 66 travel, as well as other bits of memorabilia
- Reading Room - our list of book recommendations for further study of Route 66, written by the people who know her best
- Short List - a concise list of some of the most iconic features of the Mother Road—truly the must-sees
- Specialized Forms - submit your own business or event for inclusion in the business directory or calendar of events
- Trip Planner - a printable checklist to use in preparing and packing for your Route 66 adventure, plus weather information (updated hourly) for selected cities
- Who's Who - short biographies of some of the people, both past and present, who've influenced the Mother Road
Ready to Get Started?
Just click on any of the category links you'll find on the left side of each page or in the list above. See you on the Road!
Recent Updates to This Website:
|Our In The News page is updated almost daily. Other updates include:|
|16 July||The Iron Hog Saloon, Oro Grande, Calif., is now included in our directory of businesses and other attractions.|
|25 Dec||Hooray! We've added the long-awaited state of Missouri to our GPS 66 section. Please enjoy.|
|30 Sep||We've added a new photo album, this one dedicated entirely to Red Oak II, half-town and half-artistic creation.|
|16 Aug||The Sunset Motel, Moriarty, NM is now included in our directory of businesses and other attractions.|
|29 Jun||The Society for Commercial Archaeology is asking the public for nominations for endangered roadside properties and features. See the article here for details.|
|18 May||The University's online postcard collection has been expanded with the addition of albums 69, 70, and 71.|
|16 Mar||They're finally here! The much-anticipated NEW version of the famous Friends Don't Let Friends Drive the Interstate t-shirts are now available in the online store.|
|2 Mar||The newly-updated Motel Safari is now included in our directory of businesses and other attractions.|
|24 Feb||Additions have been made to the Business Directory this week, including Gay Parita, Crossroads Cafe, and Afton DX Station.|
|31 Dec||The online postcard collection has been expanded with the addition of album number 68, which includes OKC-area scans provided by David Walker.|
|25 Oct||The Business Directory welcomes the Route 66 Interpretive Center in Chandler, Oklahoma.|
|18 Oct||McNatt Photography of Amarillo has been added to the Business Directory.|