The business directory contains web pages for Route 66 businesses and other attractions.
Powerhouse Visitor Center
The Kingman Powerhouse Visitor Center is located on the longest continuous stretch of Route 66 left in the USA. Building began on the Powerhouse in 1907 and is one of the first poured concrete buildings in Arizona.
Opened in 1909 as a power generating station, the Powerhouse operated until 1938 and then was shut down when Boulder Dam (Hoover Dam) went online. By the 1980's the Powerhouse had become an eyesore and the City was contemplating tearing her down, but due to the efforts of a group called the Powerhouse Gang, the building was saved and opened in 1997 as the Powerhouse Visitor Center.
Housed inside is the Route 66 Museum—a chronological travel history of the Route from ancient days through the 50's & 60's; the Arizona Route 66 Association & Gift Shop; a Carlos Elmer photo gallery; the Kingman Area Chamber of Commerce; and the Visitor Information Center for Kingman, Arizona and beyond.
The Powerhouse is open 7 days a week, 8am to 5pm MST, with the Museum and Rt 66 Association opening at 9am daily. There is no charge to enter the building. The Route 66 Museum has a small fee. Be sure to make us a stop on your Route 66 travels!
|About the Powerhouse|
|Business Type:||Museum/preservation; gifts/merch.|
|Address:||120 W. Route 66, Kingman, AZ 86401|